Sunday 17 May 2009

Censored Books


Oh hell! According to today's Mail on Sunday I'm likely to have my book confiscated next time I travel from Heathrow. I like Robert B Parker and feel sorry for 58-year-old bank worker Carolyn Burgess who was spotted carrying a Spenser three-in-one volume onto a plane. The gun image on the book's cover was deemed to be inappropriate and likely to upset her fellow passengers.
I'd actually planned to take Parker's Apaloosa on my next flight. Rather than featuring the Boston private detective Spenser, who does most of his fighting with his fists, Apaloosa is one of Parker's westerns in which everyone totes a big Army Colt in a flap holster. I recently enjoyed Gunman's Rhapsody which features Wyatt Earp and his brothers, Doc Holliday and Parker's take on the gunfight at the OK Corrall.
I guess I'll have to take some non-violent reading matter to Cyprus next month. It is after all high time I read Sense and Sensibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment