Sunday 10 May 2009

Parliamentary Expenses


I'm just not very assertive!

Last year I went for a job as an assistant manager at the Parliamentary Bookshop. I particularly liked the benefits package which included a good pension and free use of the House of Commons gym. I failed to get the position.

After a few minutes of shame and feeling humble following receipt of the rejection letter I resolved at least to apply for reimbursement of my rail fare to Westminster which amounted to £15.20 (including my Senior Railcard discount). I wrote a nice letter which I sent off as instructed to HRM & D, Department of Resources, House of Commons, 3rd Floor, 7 Millbank, London SW1P 3JA together with my ticket receipt on 22nd October. Needless to say I never received a response let alone payment.

Obviously they are too busy with more important payments to more assertive claimants. Or could they have set the sum aside while they wait for an "ageism" challenge in the courts?

Pshaw, there cannot be many people out there with my experience of working with books on politics coupled with bookshop administration, enthusiasm, brightness of character, good looks, telephone manner, tact and diplomacy, table manners, raw energy, vibrancy, scrupulous efficiency, glowing health, IT proficiency, creative skills, snooker wizardry, omelette cooking medals, linguistic talent ... It's just that I'm rather elderly, and obviously not very assertive.

No comments:

Post a Comment